Friday, January 25, 2008

The Near Sacrifice of Isaac and the Sacrifice of Christ


Once again this year I am trying to read through the Bible, but as of late I have started to do something different. This year I am trying to learn more historical facts about what I read. I am a bit behind on my reading, but today I was reading in Genesis 22 about the "Near" sacrifice of Isaac. The Bible says that they went to the land of Moriah. So I did some research and what I found is that researchers think that the "Land of Moriah" was probably not an area of land, but was actually a summit or a mount. Further research finds that this mount was probably Golgotha.

Does Golgatha ring a bell? Golgatha, or Calvary is where God sacrificed Christ for the atonement of sin for those who believe in Christ as their Lord and Savior. How cool is that! I always knew that there was some foreshadowing in the near sacrifice of Isaac and the sacrifice of Christ on the cross, but to possibly have been at the same place!

One last note, just as Abraham was to kill his son of his wife Sarah, God at the right time provided an alternate sacrifice to take his sons place. And God did the same thing for us, in that just at the right time, God sent an alternate sacrifice, Jesus, to be put to death for the atonement of sin.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That's pretty cool tidbid, worth sharing. I'm sure it wasn't planned that way, just coincidental.

Blake