Monday, December 24, 2007

Christmas Eve in Philidelphia

I must say that so far, this has been an interesting Christmas Eve, but I have enjoyed it thus far.

I decided yesterday that I better get a hair cut before next weekend, since I will be preaching at Blake Shotwell's Dad's church. I usually cut my hair myself at home with Kristen's help. But we forgot the clippers. So I had to find a place here in Philly.

I was not expecting any Barber Shops to be open today, but it just so happened that a place called Ralph's was. Cool little place and it was vibrant with customers, and on Christmas Eve! I guess everyone else forgot their clippers as well. So many customers were there that I had a 40 minute wait.

I decided to take a stroll around the block and get some exercise while I waited. It was pretty cold out, but the sun kept me from completely freezing. I was getting ready to make a turn down a street and I decided to go up one more block. I am glad I did, because as I made the next turn this nice older lady was trying to get her groceries in the house, so I helped her out. I think she was really surprised that I asked to help her, but she was nice and let me. We had some small talk and I was off on my way.

I go back to the main street and still had another half an hour to go, so I went up the street a little further and found this GREAT pretzel shop. Pretzels are Big in Philly. I wish we had these kind of shops in NC. I went inside and it was a small little place with this little lady taking orders. They were all out of what I wanted, but some fresh ones were in the oven. So as I waited I had some small talk with a man waiting as well. We had a nice conversation, talked about his daughter who lives in Atlanta, going to school and all.

I finally got my hair cut, which cost $20 bucks! But all in all, I really enjoyed the way God sent me around a block, to enjoy his creations. Fresh air, helping a nice lady, talking with this gentleman in the pretzel shop, and of course eating the hot and fresh pretzels. And oh yeah, the hair cut. Not your typical Christmas Eve, but it was really nice and refreshing.

We will finish it off tonight at Church, as we take communion and celebrate the birth of our Savior Jesus Christ. By the way, take a look at the four gospels this week and look at how Matthew, Mark and Luke write about the introduction of Christ to earth, then read the 1st chapter of the gospel of John! Good stuff!

2 comments:

Marc said...

Sounds like a good morning. We have made a trip to ML to pick up a book, Panera for bread bowls to hold Dail's famous "Baked Potato Soup" for tonight, and Harris Teeter for last minute food items for Christmas Day.
I am definitely going to need a diet after this week. We checked on your house on the way home. Everything looks good.
Merry Christmas to the Bradshers!!

Bradsher Family to Namibia said...

Thanks Papmarc! Sure wish I coudl have had some of that Soup!

Hope you all had a Merry Christmas!